Skip to main content

Day 20 - Puerto Varas

Last night, Rob and I went out for a bite to eat. We ended up going to Taberna Pirata on the lake front in Puerto Varas. We intended to stay for a couple of Cerveza`s and ended up chatting to the owner Noalys Hernandez who is 29 and originally from Cuba.

From Andy´s Travels Mid April to Early May

We were practicing our Spanish on her and before we knew it.... Buena Vista Social Club was playing in the background and we were settling down to a sumptuous dish of Cuban Pork and Rice.

From Andy´s Travels Mid April to Early May

The pork is cooked for 6 hours and has to be up there with the best food i´ve had on this trip. It was amazing. Noalys agreed to show us around Puerto Varas in the morning so Rob and I went off to the casino.

To say I had the anti midas touch was probably an understatement..... We put 10 pounds 50p in each and I sat down to play blackjack. at 3 pounds a hand, I lasted for exactly seven hands losing every single one. For those with a penchant for maths, you´ll figure out that I actually lost all of our money in seven hands..... Not to cut our losses, we put in another 5 pounds each. Rob then played and managed to win all of our money back... I decided to give gambling another go but this time opted for the Roulette table. I changed 10 pounds worth of chips and played two pounds a turn. After the fifth turn, of coming up without so much as a number near my bets, I again lost all my stake.... That was the end of my gambling night. Me and casino´s are not happy bedfellows.

This morning we met with Noalys in town and she gave us a bit of a tour.

I also purchased some hiking boots ahead of my trip up the Osorno Volcano. We then had lunch and Noalys introduced us to some authentic Chilean Empinadas (kind of like Cornish Pasties).

So, onto the volcano. The weather today was rubbish. It´s been the rainiest, foggiest day i´ve had since beginning my travels. Visibility is worse than poor..... How apt considering my decision to climb the volcano. The tour went ahead anyway and we took the hour long drive up to the ski centre midway up the impressive Osorno Volcano. We saw some Llamas.

I embarrassed myself royally on the minibus to my Spanish tour guide who asked me...

"How long have you been in Australia?"

to which I replied....

"tres anu´s." For three years... thinking I was being all clever speaking Spanish and that. It didn´t take me long by the way the tour guide was cracking up to realise that tres anu´s actually means three arses.... ano´s obviously being years.

When we got to the ski centre, it looked as though I wasn´t going to be able to climb as visibility was pretty poor, like a couple of metres only. I managed to pursuade one of the centre guides to let me walk up for 30mins. I pointed out i´d bought some new hiking boots today and needed to tell my friends i´d climbed a volcano... He agreed but said if I wasn´t back in 30mins he would send out a search party and I had to stick to the flagged route.

It didn´t matter to me, 30 minutes on the Osorno Volcano was such a gift for me. I´ve never experienced a thrill or a feeling quite like it. Setting off, I was literally the only person trekking the volcamno. I was walking off into a wilderness i´d never before experienced without the ability to see what was in front of me so every turn, every undulation presented a surprise.

It felt like I would imagine being on the moon would be like. The silence was audible and the landscape absolutely barren. I felt so priveliged for having been able to do that. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

I then got to see three secondary craters on the way back down the volcano. That was pretty impressive also.

Finally, I had some Murta which is a wild berry that grows in this part of Chile. They use it to make wine and to survive on Volcanos apparently. All in all, a great day even though the weather was against me. Tonight, we dine like kings at Noalys´restaurant. Can´t wait...

Speak to you next from Bariloche, Argentina....



Popular posts from this blog

The most transformational generation?

When i think about my generation I can't help feeling that we've gone through more transformational change them any since the industrial revolution. But then it's my generation so I'm always going to think we've done more in a greater way.
The technology revolution or Internet revolution - call it what you will - completely transformed my age group.
When I think back to University, it was the first time people had an email address; now, with the likes of Slack, we're trying to make email superfluous. It was a time when people still had a choice about getting a mobile phone or not. Now it's a necessity with the only choice being which type we opt for.

I was listening to my iPod classic the other day and Del Amitri 'Nothing Ever Happens' came on. I remember first playing that on vinyl before vinyl disappeared and is now making a reappearance. The line 'the needle returns to the start of the song' completely identifies with an almost forgotten …

Week 33 to 35 (Pineapple to honeydew)

Things are getting really close now. Mum is struggling with her back and I've had to start taking on more around the house. It helps now that we've started ante-natal classes and have been able to chat to some other pregnant couples.

We're very lucky in that our NCT group are great. We've met four really nice couples and we all seem to get on well. We went out for our first meal last week and have planned another for next week. It's great to be able to talk to people in the same situation.

In fact the way our NCT coordinator talks about the birth and the first few months, it almost feels like we're all a unit preparing to go into battle. There are so many different cries, emotions, signs we have to get to know about how baby's feeling plus there're all these warnings about sleep deprivation, strange occurrences at birth, cone heads, something called 'The Show',.... WTF!

We're also starting to get into baby shower season, that's somethin…

Becoming a dad - Weeks 12 to 13 (size Peach)

Weeks 12 to 13

It's been a hectic lead up to this point but finally, this week we found out we were definitely pregnant. It's an amazing feeling and one that we thought may not happen. I wanted to document the run in to becoming a dad for the first time. I hope I manage to keep it up in this blog.
Since we found out I find myself taking stock during quiet moments and steadily coming to terms with the reality that we about to realise a significant milestone in our lives.
It's an odd feeling because it doesn't quite feel real but yet I'm already planning ahead to when the moment arrives and I can hold baby in my arms. It's difficult to predict how that will feel and I'm trying not to be too methodical about the whole process. We should be enjoying this lead up. That's important.
It's exciting to plan ahead and today we went into London to look at baby things. It's only when you enter a shop like Mothercare for the first time where you're not …