Friday, April 17, 2009

Day 16 and 17 - Santiago

So, I finally got some sleep on Wednesday night after watching the Champions League games. Chatted to some Gremio fans from Brazil and then went to bed at 7pm. Was sharing a room with Barry (UK) and Oti (Finland). I was on my own to begin with and they arrived pretty late so I thought it was just me for the night. I can´t apologise enough to them for the first vision they had as they entered the room. Me in my pants bent over looking into my back pack. So sorry guys. Hope it didn´t ruin Santiago for you....

Met Rochana from Wales at breakfast. Totally impressive, she´s travelled extensively and is only 18. She´s currently travelling around South America on her own. Amazing. We decided to go for a walk around the centre of Santiago and then to go to the Zoo. Santiago is a nice place without being exceptional. It has some lovely buildings but after Mexico City, it struggles to compare. Although the Zoo was pretty cool. It´s situated on a mountain below the impressive Statue of The Virgin Mary that presides over the city.

We had a great day just wandering around the Zoo, checking out the animals and then went to the top of the mountain check out the view which was breathtaking. So sorry but I didn´t have my camera. We just sat up there for a few hours taking it all in.

Stopped for a bite to eat on the way back and were presented with two bottles of out of date beer, one didn´t even have any fizz to it..... I had an uninteresting Chicken and Chips while Rochana had a slightly more engaging pasta dish. I think that will be the last time i´ll be allowed to choose somewhere to eat.

Got back to the Hostel about 5pm and played a few games. I taught Rochana how to play backgammon. We met up with Geon (Switzerland) and Daniele (Brazil) and played a hilarious game of things... (thank you Anna for introducing me to that game). The Gremio fans from Brazil came into the hostel and bought a guitar with them. There was no chance of an early night then.... we were singing Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Beatles songs until the early hours. Had a great time and they were a genuinely cool group of people.


Finally got to bed at 5am after Rochana and Oti were dancing in our room to my iPod with there earphones in. Quite odd watching people dance to music you can´t hear. I was trying to guess what they were listening to. Rochana informs me that this is called a silent disco and they have them in Wales. Nice one..

Done nothing today apart from eat and hang around on the internet.


I was planning on travelling down to Puerto Varas this evening but I´m not sure i´ll make it. Will see how I go.

Laters

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

The most transformational generation?

When i think about my generation I can't help feeling that we've gone through more transformational change them any since the indu...