Skip to main content

Days 95 to 106 - The UK days (July 5th to 16th)

Well... nothing much to report here at Andy's Travels HQ. Really this last couple of weeks has been guided by my affection towards cricket. The Ashes series is upon us and I never thought i'd be in UK to witness it.

About a year ago I had visions of me sneaking to the TV to snatch a glance at a few overs in the early hours... thoughts of Tony Greig bawling at the bowlers to.... "get it up around the throat area" or "give them the short stuff" even to the spinners would have to act as some sort of redundant pacifier for me not being able to watch every ball.... go Greigy you not quite English, not quite South African commentator in Australia.... Where is that accent from??

But here I am, having witnessed a monutmental game of get out of jail performed by England's lower order and tail in Cardiff, I'm now on the precipice of my maiden voyage to Lords.... the home of Cricket.

I've been looking forward to this for a few months now.. Seeing the Ashes series, at Lords on day two... wow... could it get any better... Well, judging by the weather reports.... errr.. yeah it could. Like at least 10 overs would be better than what i'm expecting to see tomorrow... Rain, rain and more rain. It's even started now as I type this... How poetic.

England finished today on 364-6... I suspect that by the end of tomorrow, England will still be only 6 wickets down... unfortunately, they will also still be 364 runs to the good... Rain stops play will be the slogon for Andy incorporated tomorrow, of that I have no doubt.

But, I do get to catch up with Phil and Larks tomorrow evening which will be good. I'll also be able to spend some time with Harry Rowlands on Saturday and see my Uncle, Aunty and cousins on Sunday for a BBQ... All in all, a busy weekend for me.

Jordan beckons in less than two weeks now... what adventures await me there who knows... or India, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam for that matter... Before then... my nephew Finn will bring additional colour to my life next week when I pop up to stay with my Brother and Sister in Law. Can't wait..

Needless to say, the blog will get, hopefully, a little more interesting over the next few weeks and more entertaining with pictures and videos... I've already booked accommodation in Jordan and India... it's so close I can almost taste it...

Roll on part 2 of Andy's Travels. If you're anything like part 1... it'll be an adventure...

That's all from The Scriveners Corner for today... tune in soon for further tales..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New book - Baggage - first 20,000 words

Winter 2014
Chapter 1
It’s an inescapable feeling. You try to deny it, try to ignore it but eventually it becomes you. There’s the knowledge that it’s wrong, what I do is wrong but fight is not an option. It always wins… that desire… in the end… it always wins. I need to do this to feel normal… whatever normal is… that comfortable certainty that makes people feel safe, the thing that avoids the unknown…the undefined…and replaces it with the anticipated, the usual. Nothing misunderstood, that’s normal. For me, that normal makes me feel nothing but dead inside. There’s no spark. No life. Just monotony. I know I’m not right. I know what I do deviates from the way of average people, from the everyday position of human beings. But I can’t help it, I need it. At this time, I need it. The way life is, it’s a temperature scale. The regular position is cold, our standard life, go to bed at 10pm, get up at 6am, get ready for work, go to work, come home, eat, sleep. It’s all cold. There’s no passion…

Week 33 to 35 (Pineapple to honeydew)

Things are getting really close now. Mum is struggling with her back and I've had to start taking on more around the house. It helps now that we've started ante-natal classes and have been able to chat to some other pregnant couples.

We're very lucky in that our NCT group are great. We've met four really nice couples and we all seem to get on well. We went out for our first meal last week and have planned another for next week. It's great to be able to talk to people in the same situation.

In fact the way our NCT coordinator talks about the birth and the first few months, it almost feels like we're all a unit preparing to go into battle. There are so many different cries, emotions, signs we have to get to know about how baby's feeling plus there're all these warnings about sleep deprivation, strange occurrences at birth, cone heads, something called 'The Show',.... WTF!

We're also starting to get into baby shower season, that's somethin…

Becoming a dad - Weeks 12 to 13 (size Peach)

Weeks 12 to 13

It's been a hectic lead up to this point but finally, this week we found out we were definitely pregnant. It's an amazing feeling and one that we thought may not happen. I wanted to document the run in to becoming a dad for the first time. I hope I manage to keep it up in this blog.
Since we found out I find myself taking stock during quiet moments and steadily coming to terms with the reality that we about to realise a significant milestone in our lives.
It's an odd feeling because it doesn't quite feel real but yet I'm already planning ahead to when the moment arrives and I can hold baby in my arms. It's difficult to predict how that will feel and I'm trying not to be too methodical about the whole process. We should be enjoying this lead up. That's important.
It's exciting to plan ahead and today we went into London to look at baby things. It's only when you enter a shop like Mothercare for the first time where you're not …